A personal username is your key to the systems and services of the university during your employment.
By receiving the personal account, you also approve Rules of IT Services Use.
The contents of this instruction:
- Account and password
- New employee
- Multi-factor authentication MFA
- Forms of the staff user account
- Validity of the staff account
- Email address
- General IT instructions and IT news for the staff
Account and password
The password of the university’s user account must be changed at least once a year. You get the reminder to your e-mail before the expiration.
Set and change when needed your password in the university’s Passwd service: https://account.oulu.fi/passwd
- You need to authenticate through Suomi.fi authentication service if you don’t know/remember the account name or the password (for example: new account, forgotten account name, forgotten password, expired password). If you cannot use Suomi.fi e-Identification and you don’t know your password, please contact Campus ICT.
- When setting a new password, do not use special or Scandinavian characters in it! Passwd service accept them but the external services in our use, for example print service and O365 do not accept all characters.
- See this: Requirements for a good password.
In case you’re having login problems, please check the section Forms of the staff user account, that you type the account in the right form. Quite typical reason for login problems is also that your account or password has been expired.
You can check the status of your account by going through Suomi.fi authentication to the university’s Accountinfo service: https://account.oulu.fi/accountinfo
- In the service, you can check if your account is valid and when you have changed your password.
- You can send a support request directly from the service to the Campus ICT support service. If your account does not operate at all, add some other contact information (not the university’s email address in that case) in the request for the answering.
The account of a new employee is generated at least one week before the start of the employment. The date is determined according to when the information of the person is entered into the Certia service. The staff’s access rights to the different systems and services are valid on the day the work order begins.
If a new employee has previously had a student or staff account at the University of Oulu, she/he will get the previous account back in the use.
As a new employee, access the university’s password service: https://account.oulu.fi/passwd to check whether the account has been generated. If the account exists, the service gives you the basic form of your account (write it down!) and then you can set a password for it.
Multi-factor authentication MFA
The multi-factor authentication is in use in the university. In practice, it means that when you sign in to a university service using O365 authentication or to Certia portal, you will also secure your login using the phone. You can choose the way which you use for verification; whether it is an app on the phone, SMS or a call.
Save your own authentication method in your Microsoft account security information.
- See the instruction page for authentication method selection and use of MFA: Multi-factor authentication MFA.
Forms of the staff user account
There are eight (8) characters in the account name and it has been automatically generated on the basis of your name and the beginning year of your studies. If in the name the å, ä or ö letters happen to be, they are changed in the account name into the letters a or o. It is a basic form of your account and this instruction it is referred to with the word account. Always write it with lower-case letters.
- Use the basic form when logging in the university’s workstations, remote desktops or to the information systems where Shibboleth or Haka authentication is in use.
- If a domain (toimialue) is asked, choose the option: univ. If a server name is asked, choose the option: koivu.
- Shibboleth login screen as an example:
- This long form of your account is your Microsoft account. Use it to sign-in all Office 365 Education services (shortly O365).
- Use the long form also when connecting your mobile device to wireless network Eduroam.
- Microsoft sign-in screen as an example:
- Enter your account in this form when logging in Canon printing devices or when registering a RFID in the printing service.
Validity of the staff account
The account is automatically generated based on data saved in Certia, just like the temporary removal and termination of the access rights relating to the account.
You get a message about termination beforehand to your email address. Then the right to use the university’s information systems and workstations will end and the right to use the university’s software at home computer will end too. Account termination also includes your email address. The email folders and other files are automatically removed within certain time from the O365 service.
As a staff member, your email address is as a rule in form: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If there is another person with the same name in the system, one character or a string is added between the names. The addition could be generated on the basis of your middle name or it could be a number. In that case, your email address could be in the form: email@example.com.
- If in the name the å, ä or ö letters happen to be, they are changed in the email address into the letters a or o.
- Your O365 login name also serves as the e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- With old user accounts, the addresses of an old mail server could still opearate: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office 365 Education is the university’s email service. The service also offers other versatile tools for your use. You can log into the service with your university Microsoft account at: https://o365.oulu.fi.