Temporary UFO user account
A person who has no contract in the university but has a justified reason to use IT services for the staff, a temporary UFO user account must be applied by her/his unit. This person could be a scholarship researcher, a researcher with grant funding or Academy funding, a part-time teacher, a visiting researcher or teacher, a professor emeriti or a pensioner continuing research work.
Because the UFO account is chargeable for the unit, the user account is created only when the superior of the unit responsible for the costs has approved the application. When the account has been created, the person gets the information about it to the e-mail that has been informed in the application.
The UFO account has the same user rights as a staff account including for example UNIV domain, print service, email and other O365 services.
- University of Oulu Graduate School can grant an UFO account for a doctoral researcher. In this case the account does not include workstation maintenance or IT support which are part of UNIV services. It includes an email address in form firstname.lastname@example.org and O365 services. The UniOGS researchers work on their own devices which can be used on the campuses only in a wireless network. The software licenced by the university is available with VPN connection. More information: email@example.com.
The contents of this instruction:
- UFO application
- Account and password
- Multi-factor authentication MFA
- Forms of the UFO account
- Validity of the UFO account
- Email address
- General IT instructions and IT news for UFO user
The first UFO application is filled for the applicant by the unit responsible for the costs. If the applicant has a valid UFO account, she/he can apply the extension for the validity of UFO account her-/himself using the link she/he has received by email. The instructions related to the UFO application can be read in Patio intranet.
- If a completely new UFO account is applied for and the applicant does not have a Finnish personal identity code, HR services should be contacted, and they will fill in the application form.
Account and password
By receiving the personal account, you also approve Rules of IT Services Use.
The password of the university’s user account must be changed at least once a year. You get the reminder to your e-mail before the expiration.
Set and change when needed your password in the university’s Passwd service: https://account.oulu.fi/passwd
- You need to authenticate through Suomi.fi authentication service if you don’t know/remember the account name or the password (for example: new account, forgotten account name, forgotten password, expired password). If you cannot use Suomi.fi e-Identification and you don’t know your password, please contact Campus ICT.
- When setting a new password, do not use special or Scandinavian characters in it! Passwd service accept them but the external services in our use, for example print service and O365 do not accept all characters.
- See this: Requirements for a good password.
In case you’re having login problems, please check the section Forms of the UFO account, that you type the account in the right form. Quite typical reason for login problems is also that your account or password has been expired.
You can check the status of your account by going through Suomi.fi authentication to the university’s Accountinfo service: https://account.oulu.fi/accountinfo
- In the service, you can check if your account is valid and when you have changed your password.
- You can send a support request directly from the service to the Campus ICT support service. If your account does not operate at all, add some other contact information (not the university’s email address in that case) in the request for the answering.
The multi-factor identification, MFA, is in use in the university. In practice, it means that when you sign in to a university service using O365 authentication with your username and password, you will also secure your login using the phone. You can choose the way in which you use for verifocation; whether it is an app on the phone, SMS or a call.
Save your own authentication method in your Microsoft account security information.
- See the instruction page for authentication method selection and use of MFA: Multi-factor authentication MFA.
Forms of the UFO account
There are eight (8) characters in the account name and it has been automatically generated on the basis of your name and the beginning year of your studies. If in the name the å, ä or ö letters happen to be, they are changed in the account name into the letters a or o. It is a basic form of your account and this instruction it is referred to with the word account. Always write it with lower-case letters.
- Use the basic form when logging in the university’s workstations, remote desktops or to the information systems where Shibboleth or Haka authentication is in use.
- If a domain (toimialue) is asked, choose the option: univ. If a server name is asked, choose the option: koivu.
- Shibboleth login screen as an example:
- This long form of your account is your Microsoft account. Use it to sign-in all Office 365 Education services (shortly O365).
- Use the long form also when connecting your mobile device to wireless network Eduroam.
- Microsoft sign-in screen as an example:
- Enter your account in this form when logging in Canon printing devices or when registering a RFID in the printing service.
Validity of the UFO account
The account is automatically generated based on data saved in Certia, just like the temporary removal and termination of the access rights relating to the account.
You get a message about termination beforehand to your email address. Then the right to use the university’s information systems and workstations will end and the right to use the university’s software at home computer will end too. Account termination also includes your email address. The email folders and other files are automatically removed within certain time from the O365 service.
As a staff member, your email address is as a rule in form: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If there is another person with the same name in the system, one character or a string is added between the names. The addition could be generated on the basis of your middle name or it could be a number. In that case, your email address could be in the form: email@example.com.
- If in the name the å, ä or ö letters happen to be, they are changed in the email address into the letters a or o.
- Your O365 login name also serves as the e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- With old user accounts, the addresses of an old mail server could still opearate: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office 365 Education is the university’s email service. The service also offers other versatile tools for your use. You can log into the service with your university Microsoft account at: https://o365.oulu.fi.
General IT instructions and IT news for UFO user
The UFO user account is equal to the staff account, so the IT instructions and news concerning you are published in Patio-intranet as a rule. There in Patio instructions, ict.oulu.fi links are also used.