Zoom is a web conferencing tool where you can e.g. share your screen with other participants. Use Zoom for remote education and guidance, web conferencing and webinars.
Basic information about Zoom
- Our Zoom service provider is CSC. NORDUnet Zoom is used by universities (and research) in the Nordic countries.
- The service is located on the NORDUnet server. (See Zoom security (NORDUNet))
- Data traffic is concentrated in the EU and complies with data protection requirements.
- Zoom cloud recording was deployed at the University of Oulu and Oamk in October 2022: the recordings are first converted to videos in the cloud, and then the owner of the meeting will get a download link to their email, so they can download the video and then share it to users via YuJa, YouTube or MS Stream. The other option is to record the meeting to your own computer.
- General responsibilities, risks and principles of recording online meetings at the University of Oulu and Oamk
- A meeting can have 300 participants. (NB. Everyone at the Univeristy of Oulu and Oamk can arrange meetings, also students. However, Zoom, as all the resources given to your use by the university, are meant for purposes related to studying/working at the univeristy.)
- A large meeting can have 500 participants. (If you need to arrange meetings with more than 300 participants, please contact ICT Services)
- A webinar can have 500 participants. (If you need to arrange webinars, please contact ICT Services)
Our own Zoom instructions in English
- How to start using the Zoom online meeting tool
- Why show your face in a Zoom meeting? It’s not a requirement, but it could be worth it
- Update the Zoom app on your computer!
- Guide your Zoom meeting participants to use the Zoom toolbar
- How to listen to the English simultaneous translation in a meeting/webinar (NB. Simultaneous translation is available on some of the bigger events only.)
Zoom instructions elsewhere
- Zoom’s own help center has many articles and tutorials for Zoom users. Most of Zoom’s own instructions are applicable as such to our Zoom as well.
A selection of Zoom’s own instructions in English
- Participating in breakout rooms
- Sharing your screen, content, or second camera
- Changing the video layout (Speaker view and Gallery view)