At the beginning of your studies, you are granted with a personal student account. It’s your key to systems and services of the university during your studying.
By receiving the personal account, you also approve Rules of IT Services Use.
The contents of this instruction:
- Account and password
- Multi-factor authentication MFA
- Forms of the student user account
- Email address
- Validity of student account
- General IT instructions and IT news for students
Account and password
The password of the university’s user account must be changed at least once a year. You get the reminder to your e-mail before the expiration.
Set and change when needed your password in the university’s Passwd service: https://account.oulu.fi/passwd
- You need to authenticate through Suomi.fi authentication service if you don’t know/remember the account name or the password (for example: new account, forgotten account name, forgotten password, expired password). If you cannot use Suomi.fi e-Identification and you don’t know your password, please contact Campus ICT.
- When setting a new password, do not use special or Scandinavian characters in it! Passwd service accept them but the external services in our use, for example O365, print service and laptop vendors do not accept all characters.
- See this: Requirements for a good password.
In case you’re having login problems, please check the section Forms of the student user account, that you type the account in the right form. Quite typical reason for login problems is also that your account or password has been expired. You can check the status of your account by going through Suomi.fi authentication to the university’s Accountinfo service: https://account.oulu.fi/accountinfo
- In the service, you can check if your account is valid and when you have changed your password.
- You can send a support request directly from the service to the Campus ICT support service. If your account does not operate at all, add some other contact information (not the university’s email address in that case) in the request for the answering.
The multi-factor identification, MFA, is in use in the university. In practice, it means that when you sign in to a university service using O365 authentication with your username and password, you will also secure your login using the phone. You can choose the way in which you use for verifocation; whether it is an app on the phone, SMS or a call.
If you have not chosen and set up the verification method in your MS account security information, you will receive a notification “More information required” at the login stage and you will be directed to set your authentication method without delay.
Save your own authentication method in your Microsoft account security information.
See the instruction page for authentication method selection and use of MFA: Multi-factor authentication MFA.
Forms of the student user account
There are eight (8) characters in the account name and it has been automatically generated on the basis of your name and the beginning year of your studies. If in the name the å, ä or ö letters happen to be, they are changed in the account name into the letters a or o. It is a basic form of your account and this instruction it is referred to with the word account. Always write it with lower-case letters.
- Use the basic form when logging in the university’s remote desktops, workstations, vendor laptops or to the information systems where Shibboleth or Haka authentication is in use.
- If a domain (toimialue) is asked, choose the option: student. If a server name is asked, choose the option: paju.
- Shibboleth login screen as an example:
- This long form of your account is your Microsoft account. Use it to sign-in all Office 365 Education services (shortly O365/M365) and other services which use Azure authentication.
- All user accounts created on or after August 1, 2019 are also automatically O365 usernames. If your account is older and you have not specifically enabled the O365 service, you will not be able to sign in to the university systems. In that case, act according to this instruction!
- Use the long form also when registering to Laptop Vendors or connecting your mobile device to wireless network Eduroam.
- The Azure sign-in screen:
- Enter your account in this form when logging in Canon printing devices or in a webstore to buy printing quota.
- Webstore’s login screen as an example:
As a university student, your email address is as a rule in form: email@example.com.
- If there is another person with the same name in the system, one character or a string is added between the names. The addition could be generated on the basis of your middle name or it could be a number. In that case, your email address could be in the form: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If in the name the å, ä or ö letters happen to be, they are changed in the email address into the letters a or o.
- Your O365 login name also serves as the e-mail address: email@example.com.
- With old user accounts, the addresses of an old mail server could still opearate: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
NOTE! The university email address is your primary address in all study related matters. Forwarding mail to external addresses is not recommended, but it is nevertheless possible. Read the instruction: Email forwarding.
Office 365 Education is the university’s email service. The service also offers other versatile tools for your use. You can log into the service with your university Microsoft account at: https://o365.oulu.fi.
Validity of student account
The username of the university student is valid as a rule during the studying. Your account closes automatically on the basis of the information in the information processing system of the study administration when:
- have finished your studies or
- discontinue your student status or
- are not registered as a present student.
You get a message about termination beforehand to your email address. When the account closes, the right of using university computers and information systems ends and your email address is closed. The email folders and other files are automatically removed within certain time from O365 service.
If you are part of the university staff, account will remain active with the staff user rights.