NB. MS will discontinue Skype for Business in 07/2021. At Oamk, Teams has already replaced Skype for Business this summer (2020).
We will leave this guideline here because the Finnish version of this page is also used outside Oamk. If you are a student or member of staff at Oamk, you should see the Teams instructions instead.
Download and install
- To download Skype for Business, go to Outlook (outlook.office.com).
- Click on the cogwheel in the top right corner of the screen and select Office 365.
- Click on Software.
- Select language and version depending on your computer.
- Then click on Install
Log in, status, chat, history, calling
- After Skype has successfully installed, you are able to log in.
- Under your name you are able to change presence status.
- Status will also be shown in Outlook.
- Double click on anyone to chat.
- Skype for Business automatically saves your chat history.
- You can find your conversation history by clicking on the clock icon.
- You can also view your history in Outlook by selecting Conversation history.
- You can call to other users as a normal voice call or video call by right clicking on their name in contact list or in the bottom menu while chat window is open.
- This action requires that your computer has a microphone and a camera plugged in.
Sharing files or screen
- In Skype for Business you can share files and screen to others.
- To share click on the Screen -icon in the bottom menu while chat window is open.
- You can change the settings by clicking on the cogwheel icon in the home page.
Changing your profile picture
- You can not change your profile picture in the Skype for Business settings.
- To change your profile picture go to Outlook.
- Click on the cogwheel -icon and select Office 365.
- Select Personal info and change picture.
Schedule a meeting
- Skype meeting is an individual online workspace.
- To schedule Skype meeting, open Outlook calendar and pick a date for your meeting.
- Select New Skype Meeting from the top menu.
- New window opens where you can define participants and other meeting options.
- See that the system automatically creates an individual link “Join Skype Meeting”.
- Fill the fields.
- Check the availability of the participants through Scheduling assistant.
- If needed, change the date of the meeting suitable for everyone.
- To change settings in Outlook, click on the “Meeting options” in the tool menu.
- When you are ready, send the invite.
Join a meeting
- To join meeting, open the meeting booking from the calendar.
- Click on Join Skype Meeting -link.
- Conference room opens.
Chat, send instant messages, share and edit documents and save the meeting
- When joining first time you will get a notification concerning meeting audio.
- Select the first option and click OK.
- Ina Skype meeting you can voice chat, write instant messages, share and edit documents together and save the meeting.
- You can view participants from top left icon.
- From bottom left you can open chat window.
- The icon on the right of the phone icon is for adjusting microphone.
- From the bottom right icon you can open settings and saving options.
Give presenter permissions to other participants
- You can give presenter permission by opening the participants list and right clicking on person’s name and select Make a presenter from the menu.
- The meeting organser has a possibility to allow remote control of shared screen.
- To allow remote control, hover over in the top of the screen while presentation is open, when a menu pops up.
- Click on the Give Control drop-down menu.
- Select the person you want to give rights to.
- Your rights will remain.
- To take control, go back to Give Control menu and click Take Back Control.
- You can also request control rights from the organiser by clicking on Request control from the top the of the screen while presentation is open.
Leave a meeting
- To leave a meeting, click the phone icon.
- Change settings in Skype by clicking on the cogwheel icon on the homepage.
This article was published in categories All instructions and tags ancient history, skype, skype for business, verkkokokoukset. Add the permalink to your favourites.